Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ironically ironic

So I was sitting on the couch, untangling yarn to finish a hat that I'm making, when I had a thought. A lot of TV shows are about "middle America." There's "Suburgatory," "the middle," "Modern Family," "The Office,""New Girl," to name a few (or all of them I'm not really sure). (Also, should I be putting them in quotes or underlined? Do people really care? Whatever, quotes it is.) Add to that list whichever ones I may have missed and also shows from the past. Here is the thing: those actors/actresses don't live in middle America. Yes, a lot of them came from this proverbial place but still they are no longer residence. We pay to watch funnier, prettier people live the same lives that we do. Let me say this again, we PAY to watch other people live the SAME lives that we do. The same goes for many movies as well. Does anyone else see the irony in this? I know what some of you may be thinking. That it's not exactly the same. If I ever worked in an office like the one in "The Office" I would run to work everyday. It would be fantastic! Also, I know what else you may be thinking and I know this because of all the memes out there. That you and your friends are just as funny and pretty if not more so!
I'm with you there my brothers and sisters. I currently live my own version of "New Girl." Without all of the "will she ever hook up with that guy?!" because my boyfriend lives in the household so that fun storyline is out. I do live with three guys though, and two dogs, a cat, fish and chickens. I think we're funny. And I think we're all beautiful people. But that's just me. And I'm just some nobody in middle America. Don't get me wrong. I love most of these shows. I just sometimes feel cheated because my life is put on screen and I get none of the royalties.

-S

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...