Wow, today. What an absolutely beautiful day. Every first and third Wednesday of every month I work a farm stand in downtown New Bedford, my native land. It's great to be able to do something so awesome for my city. We hadn't been doing so well though and if I didn't make enough today we weren't going to have it anymore. I have come to think of this market as my baby so it broke my heart to hear that. With the support of so many people though I did it! I made enough to keep the market going a little while longer. Also, today I had such beautiful conversations with so many wonderful people. One of the things I love about my job is that when I go to market, I get to spread the word of sustainability and discuss healthy eating and living with people. It's exactly how I want to be living my life.
After work, I went to a local beach to enjoy the beautiful day. No one was on the beach so I got to sit and meditate for awhile. There is no better place to meditate than the beach. The salt air, cool breeze on your skin and the sound of waves is so soothing. After I had been meditating for awhile, I heard a family start to walk my way. As they got closer, I heard a little girl's voice and she said to her family, "look at that girl over there. Is she relaxing?" To which they replied, yes. She answered, "It looks like she's sleeping." This made me laugh and I opened my eyes and thanked her for that. One of the adults said to me, "That's what you get with a four year old." And we shared a laugh. I love random, beautiful moments with strangers.
I've been having a similar conversation with different people lately about not judging others. This usually comes about because all of us 20-something year olds have college degrees and can't find jobs. To a lot of people it seems like we're doing nothing. A lot of us get comments like "how come you don't use your degree....why don't you go back to school..." Well a lot of people I know can't find jobs, even with Masters degrees. And you know something else...a lot of us love what we do even if it's not something that "utilizes" our degrees. A friend of mine stopped by the stand today. She was having lunch with a friend next door and I came up in conversation. She explained to him that she knows me from her current job. She told him how I moved to Poland for grad school and then to New Hampshire and that I now work for a farm. His comment back to that was whoa...you never really know people's stories do you? Who would have thought that girl at the farm stand did all that? This is something I always think of when first encountering new people; don't make too quick judgments on them. Obviously, if you have a gut reaction that someone may not be such a good person then you should listen. Other than that, give people a chance. If people are being jerks maybe they're just having a really bad day. You never know the paths that others have walked. What they have seen, the beauties and the horrors of life.
I leave you with a recurring thought I meditated on today: Love is all encompassing.
Namaste xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment